Professional Development Workshop: Integrating STEM into the Victorian Curriculum
Still interested? Contact us and we will let you know when the next one is coming up!
Whether you are a primary teacher, secondary English teacher or a stand-alone STEM subject teacher, this workshop has something for you!
In this hands-on professional development workshop you will learn what STEM is, how it can be taught (and assessed!) and how to integrate STEM into what you are currently teaching. You will also learn to use a broad range of STEM technologies* – and the best part, you get to keep them!
This workshop is aimed at upper primary to lower secondary teachers, however it is applicable to all teachers and school leaders.
Date: Friday 22nd of March, 2019
Time: 9:30 am – 3:30 pm
Location: Centre for Adult Education, 253 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Vic
Cost: $280 (https://goo.gl/maps/RkVqkXCitsN2)
- Full-day, hands-on workshop
- STEM technologies to learn on and take home*
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
Please bring a laptop (PC or Mac) to this event. Further details about any software requirements will be emailed prior to the workshop.
By the end of the day you will:
- Understand what STEM education is and why it is important
- Have the skills to integrate STEM education into a variety of classroom situations
- Be able to use (and keep!) a broad range of STEM technologies* including a micro-controllers, inputs and outputs, e-textiles and wearables as well as construction tools.
Why learn with us?
- You get to keep the technology you learn on. This means you can continue to develop your skills after you leave our workshop and demonstrate what you’ve learned to other staff or your students.
- Our workshops are structured to allow you to explore your interests and at your own pace – in a similar way to how you might model differentiation in your own STEM classroom.
- We tailor our workshops to our participants’ needs. We get you to fill in a (brief) survey before joining us so we can ensure we are targeting the workshop to your school context.
- We take into consideration the latest research in STEM education and professional development as well as what we know from actually being teachers in schools. This means our workshops not only have a foundation in research, but they also include realistic teaching practices.
- Our workshops are fully catered and run in a central location just a few minutes walk from Flinders St station.
Meet our Presenter: Our lead presenter, Chloë Nelson, is a science teacher as well as a scientist, she has studied engineering, worked as a science communicator in a variety of primary and secondary contexts and is currently undertaking a PhD in professional development for STEM teachers. She has a thorough understanding of the current research into STEM education as well the context of working in the Victorian school system.
*Included technology is subject to availability but will most likely include:
- micro:bit robot
- e-textiles and wearables
- makedo construction tools