This product works as a vehicle OBD-II
data bridge for Arduino, providing OBD-II data access with Arduino library
as well as power supply (converted and regulated from OBD-II port) for Arduino and its attached devices.
Model B has an additional MPU-6050 (6-axis) or MPU-9150 (9-axis) MEMS module built inside, which provides accelerometer, gyroscope, compass (MPU-9150 only) and temperature sensor all accessible via I2C. Accelerometer can be used for measuring car's acceleration and steering G-force. Gyroscope & compass can be used for measuing car's orientation without GPS. When the adapter is plugged and locked in the car's OBD-II port, the MEMS module inside the case will always stay static to the car body, so the its data can reflect the movement of the car accurately. Programming guides for using the I2C MEMS modules with Arduino are available here for MPU-6050
and here for MPU-9150
Model B connects with Arduino through I2C interface (SDA/SCL). OBD-II data and MEMS sensor data are both accessed via I2C. The OBD library has encapsulated all the necessary I2C operations for OBD-II access.
The adapter plugs into the OBD port usually located under the steering column or slightly to the left of it. To check if your vehicle is OBD-II certified, open your hood and find the sticker that looks like this:
Vehicles using following vehicle protocols are supported.
The OBD-II Adapter is compatible with Arduino models including Arduino UNO, Arduino Leonardo, Arduino Micro, Arduino Nano, Arduino Mini, Arduino Pro Mini, Arduino MEGA 1280/2560/ADK.
- Supporting CAN bus & KWP2000 protocols
- Compatible ELM327 command-set
- I2C data interface for micro-controllers (as slave device)
- Fast (up to 100Hz) read-out of OBD-II PIDs available in vehicle ECU
- Accessing and clearing vehicle diagnostic trouble code (DTC)
- Built-in voltage meter for measuring car battery voltage through OBD-II port
- Built-in MEMS module (accelerometer, gyro & temperature)
- High efficiency DC-DC module providing attached devices with regulated 5V voltage up to 2A
Arduino library and sketches available
- Hand-held Scan Tools
- Driver's Supplementary Vehicle Instrumentation
- Emission Testing
- Vehicle Telematics
- Size: 72x48x28 mm (2.83x1.89x1.10")
- Cable Length: 1m (39.37")
- Embedded MPU6050 I2C accelerometer and gyro