Building the Pi Racer Hardware
What can you do with some copper tape, straws, plastic arches, a toy car and a MaKey MaKey board?
In this guide, you will learn how to make a race car move with just those parts.
After completing this guide, build your creations and explore other ways to make things move!
Step 1 Cut one straw with a pair of Scissors
- Cut the end of one straw with a pair of Scissors
Step 2 Insert the cut straw into another straw
- Insert the cut straw into another straw
Step 3 Tape the top of the straws together
- Tape the top of the straws together
Step 4 Stick conductive copper tape on straws
- Stick conductive copper tape on straws
Step 5 Attach straw arches to race track
- Attach arches to track with tape
- Join arches at top with tape
Step 6 Connect the left hand side to the MaKey MaKey Earth
- Connect one white alligator cable to the front left hand side
- Connect another white alligator cable to the back left hand side
- Connect both white alligator cables to the Earth of the MaKey MaKey
Step 7 Connect the Front right hand side to the "Up Arrow" of the MaKey MaKey
- Connect one green alligator cable to the right front side.
- Connect the other end of the green alligator to the up arrow on the MaKey MaKey.
Step 8 Connect the Back right hand side to the "Down Arrow" of the MaKey MaKey
- Connect one red alligator cable to the right back side.
- Connect the other end of the red alligator to the down arrow on the MaKey MaKey.
Step 9 Add whiskers to your car
- Cut some conductive tape and give your car some whiskers
- Be sure to leave the backing on the whiskers
- Only the small vertical strip should have the backing removed
Step 10 Measure the distance between your arches and prepare to race!
- Measure the distance of your arches
- Test your arches